As one of Canada's Top Technology Workplaces, BC's Best Workplaces, and most recently ranked one of Canada's Best Workplaces for Inclusion, Hothead Games is seeking an enthusiastic, talented, and experienced VFX Artist to create stunning VFX in 2D/3D. This position will need strong collaboration skills across multiple projects, and flexibility in approach to VFX within each game's art style.
We’re looking for a VFX artist to join a highly dynamic game development studio to make our games look even more awesome! The ideal candidate should be someone who shows initiative and passion for the mobile gaming world and will thrive in our creative environment.
- Create the particle effects and art assets required to make stunning VFX in 2D or 3D for environments, characters, and UI
- Work with the project owners, and project artists to understand or develop an approach to VFX within a game’s art style
- Collaborate with programmers and technical artists to understand technical restrictions/limitations of the hardware, and create compelling visual FX within those constraints
- Divide your time between multiple projects that require VFX and provide accurate estimates in order to help manage task scope
- Ensure visual FX meet technical and visual quality standards
- Work with QA and other trades to diagnose and resolve VFX bugs
- Proficiency with Unity Particle Editor, Cascade, PopcornFX or equivalent particle editing software
- Experience working with Unity or equivalent game engine
- Proficient with Maya / 3ds Max
- Proficient with Photoshop
- Strong communication skills are a must
- 3 – 5 years of work experience as an artist
- Experience with Substance Designer / Substance Painter
- Some GLSL shader editing skill
- Experience with Houdini
Please submit a portfolio of your work.
WHY BEING INCLUSIVE IS IMPORTANT TO US?
At Hothead Games, we are an equal opportunity employer and we value the diversity of the people we hire and serve. We strive to build and grow our team that fosters a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills. We embrace inclusiveness in our workplace so we can utilize each person’s talents and strengths to make great games.
If you're seeking an awesome new challenge in a fun and engaging studio, we invite you to apply and talk about the possibilities of beginning a rewarding new chapter of your career.