Hothead Games is a mobile game development studio and publisher focused on free-to-play games for iOS and Android devices. Millions of people play our games and this generates large amounts of data.
As a Game Analyst, your responsibility is to find actionable insights from data to help guide the development of free to play mobile games. By performing quantitative analysis of player behavior, you will identify problems and propose solutions to improve key performance indicators of the game such as retention, conversion, and monetization. This includes working with the game teams to identify changes that drive user engagement.
As an ideal candidate for this position, your skillset is broader than only quantitative, ex post analysis. You are also able to make informed, ex ante predictions of user behaviour during a game’s early stages of development - providing proactive recommendations to help shape the game’s underlying economy. You should be able to deconstruct a game’s core loop, systems, and player motivations.
During all phases of a project, you will actively monitor performance and make recommendations to improve the success of the game. You will be involved during both the production and live operations phases of the project.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Playing, deconstructing, and understanding the various games in development.
- Finding meaningful insights from data that help drive the games to success.
- Working closely with the game teams to effectively communicate the findings and work out possible in-game improvements.
- Analyzing player behaviour to support improvement of the game’s key performance indicators such as retention, conversion and lifetime value.
- Tracking key economy-related metrics such as sinks, sources, currency value, and inflation.
- Answering questions that stakeholders may have about a project.
- Playing our games and then formulating your own questions, developing hypotheses, finding answers through data, then presenting your results.
- Creating dashboards at multiple levels of detail that can be used by the various stakeholders to find the information they need.
- Degree in Data Analysis, Game Design, Economics, Psychology, Business Management or BA in a related field
- Must enjoy playing video games with familiarity in the mobile space.
- Strong econometrics skills, able to model problems into quantitative systems, and draw qualitative conclusions out of quantitative data.
- Grasp of the principles of human behavior that underlie economic principles and activities
- Minimum 1 year experience in games preferably with free-to-play social mobile games
- Strong analytical and quantitative problem solving ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical people
- Strong abilities with database query languages (SQL)
- Expert-level skills in Tableau
This full-time permanent position is for our Vancouver office, located at 1555 West Pender Street, in beautiful Coal Harbour. Compensation includes competitive salary and vacation, MSP and Extended Health coverage. Other cool perks include an in-house gym, on-site Chiropractor/RMT/ Physiotherapy, yoga/fitness classes, RRSP matching, company golfing, major/minor league sports events, summer rooftop BBQs, snacks and beverages, weekly lunch & learns, beer Fridays and most of all, amazing people to work with!
WHY BEING INCLUSIVE IS IMPORTANT TO US
At Hothead Games, we are an Equal Opportunity employer and we value the diversity of the people we hire and serve. We strive to build and grow our team that fosters variety in backgrounds, perspectives, experiences and skills. We embrace inclusiveness in our workplace, so we can utilize each person’s talents and strengths to make great games.
If you're seeking an awesome new challenge in a fun and engaging studio, we invite you to apply and talk about the possibilities of beginning a rewarding new chapter of your career.